“We will sing of great crowds excited by work, by pleasure, and by riot…”
– Tommaso Marinetti
My name is Dave Carroll, and welcome to my little corner of the interwebs! I am primarily a portrait photographer, but love all aspects of the art. Feel free to poke around the site while you’re here.
Here are a few facts about me:
- I’m from England, so you may not be able to understand me.
- I don’t hate digital photography, I just prefer film*.
- I shoot people pictures. A photograph without people is like fish without chips.
- I use cranky old cameras. Please don’t laugh at them; they are easily offended.
- I don’t photograph weddings.
- This is my art. If you don’t like it, I’m perfectly fine with that.
- I love black and white photographs, but will occasionally shoot colour.
- My images are best displayed on a real wall, not a Facebook wall.
- If you ask nicely, I will shoot you.
I love photography. The image, or course, is the most important thing, but that doesn’t mean one shouldn’t enjoy the process too. The mechanical and optical precision of the old cameras I use inspires me, and the darkroom technicalities fascinate me.
I wanted this blog to reflect my interests in the medium, so as well as being an online portfolio for my work, you’ll also find articles on vintage equipment, photographic technique (shooting, lighting and darkroom), and pretty much anything else I might want to post! Hopefully something here will be of interest.
* [2018 update] I’ve gone over partly to the dark side and am now shooting a lot more with digital gear. I’m not sure how I feel about that.